31.10.05

Boo! (Hiss!)

It's that time of the year again. Pumpkin pie, trick or treating, fancy costumes. Now, don't get me wrong, I haven't got anything against Halloween as such it's just that...

...it is NOT a Norwegian tradition. Not by a longshot. Heck, it's so fresh, even I remember when nobody knew about (or cared about, for that matter) this imported "thing". The Norwegian equivalent, Julebukk, has existed for ages and yet nobody seems to remember that, at least not here in the city.



Hey, I am all for kids stuffing their faces with candy once in a while, but not on Halloween - not here in Norway, anyway. Besides, when the kids go julebukk, they have to EARN their goodies by singing Christmas carols, and we all know that working for your candy builds character.



And this has nothing at all to do with the fact that I never got to go trick or treating when I was a kid.

No comments: