4.11.05

The Friday List: Top 5 80s Cartoons

Ah yes, the 80s. Mostly remembered for its music, horrible clothes and dubious hairstyles. No no, please, no justifications; I was there. Hey, don't get me wrong, it was a great time to grow up and I have many fond memories (and some truly disturbing photos) from the time.

So, I find it only fair to do a list of my favourite 80s Saturday morning cartoons. Here goes:

1. Thundercats. I loved this show; the drama, the action and the hot... uhm.. furry chick. A simple premise (scary mummy-like being does bad things, tough and well-trimmed cat-man hybrids set things right) that nevertheless worked very well.

2. Transformers. Whoever came up with this concept truly understood how a boy's mind work: Cars and robots. Simple, yet brilliant. Cars and robots. Story? I'm sorry... I was distracted by all those cars and robots.

3. Masters of the Universe. I was never as much a fan of the cartoon as of the actual action figures, but I recognize the impact it had. Later on, I discovered it was basically "Conan Light" but it was fun anyway. The testosterone levels, man!

4. Inspector Gadget. Ok, so it was pretty goofy, but it was great fun, and the gadgets and the car (oh boy, that car) were really cool. Clearly inspired by Peter Sellers' "Inspector Clouseau", it also had the most memorable theme song EVER.

5. Super-Ted. Well, maybe not the coolest of shows, but at least this was one show me and my kid brother could agree on watching together (and the one show mum would let us watch due to its morally correct and mostly non-violent content)

No comments: