1.5.05

Shiny things

I like shiny objects. Shiny objects and blue LEDs. In particular, I like the shiny object that is my PowerMac G5. It looks good (outside AND inside), it plays well and it darn well feels good, too. I installed a second internal harddrive in it today, and had to contemplate for a few minutes just to grasp the beauty of it: all I needed (except for the drive itself) was right there.

On my PCs, installing a second harddrive usually meant getting the disk, finding some screws, fidgeting with the drive bay to fit the disk, realizing that the IDE-kabel didn't reach it, repositioning the drive (often accidently unhooking some innocent looking cable somewhere in the process, wreaking havoc on my setup later on in the process), realizing the disk was set as master, desperately searching for the miniscule plastic jumper that got lost in the process, restarting, formatting and Bob's your father's brother.

Now, the same procedure, G5 stylee: get the disk, get the four screws that are conveniently placed next to the drive bays, fasten these on the disk, put the disk into the bay (which then simply locks the disk in place), fasten the S-ATA and power cables (which, once more, where conveniently placed just below the connectors on the disk) - et voila! - Disk installed. I'm telling you, this should be a frickin' standard on ALL PCs, Macs or otherwise. I'm really starting to like my Mac.

My brand new livingroom floor looks pretty shiny as well, although it's not brushed steel and hasn't got any blue LEDs.

Yet.

No comments: